Confirmed:New Liverpool Manager

Wigan have given Liverpool permission to speak with boss Roberto Martinez about the managerial post at Anfield, Latics owner Dave Whelan has confirmed.

"I gave Liverpool permission and he will be talking to them soon," Whelan told Sky Sports News.

"I have always said when a big club comes, I will give permission and they don't come any bigger than Liverpool.

"He has been a fantastic, superb manager [for Wigan]. He will be a difficult act to follow."

Whelan said he hoped Martinez would choose to stay at the DW Stadium but understands the Spaniard's popularity.

"I don't know Roberto's feelings about Liverpool. He will be going with an open mind. I'd love to keep Roberto.

"Unfortunately in this day and age of football there are two or three clubs without managers and Roberto is on the list of every one of them.

"When Liverpool sacked Kenny I did think they would be knocking on the door. If Liverpool are serious then I may lose him."