Gerrard may not be able to start of new season with injury


Steven Gerrard has revealed he is still fighting to be fit for the start of this season.
But he has insisted when he does return, he'll be back stronger and better than ever before, after finally triumphing over his perennial injury jinx.
Gerrard hasn't played since an appearance against Manchester United way back in early March, because of the groin problem that has troubled him throughout his career.
The problem eventually required surgery - and the longest lay-off Gerrard has ever faced in his career.


But that break has given him the chance to recharge his batteries, and refresh his appetite for the game, as well as work in strengthening the problem area, and the Reds captain believes he can return in better physical shape than at any time in his career.
"I'm still four or five weeks away from playing a game but I believe I'll come back in better physical condition than I've ever been," he explained.
"It's been non-stop football for me since I started when I was 17. I've never had a period of more than four or five weeks out of the game, so it's been nice to rest mentally.
"You don't want to miss games but when you're watching them it gives you that edge, that buzz to get back. I'll come back hungry and hopefully there's a very productive season ahead for me.
"I've had a rest mentally, and I'm feeling as good as ever, because I've had time to get my body right, get my body strong."
Liverpool's medical team have worked hard to help Gerrard overcome the groin weakness that have caused him frequent problems, and they believe they have cracked the situation once and for all, with tests showing the midfielder to be stronger than ever.
But he won't be rushed back into action, even if it means he misses a couple of games at the start of the season as he searches for match fitness.
Gerrard's timetable suggests he won't play a pre-season friendly until the end of July, and with the season beginning in early August, that doesn't give him much time to get match fit, after a near six-month lay-off.
But even if he misses the opening fortnight of the season, the England star believes it will be worth it as he returns in a heightened physical condition, and he admitted he can't wait.
"I want to come back with a bang, I want to have a big season.
"There's still a lot of time for me to achieve bigger and better things. I'd like to finish my career with a few more trophies."